The Walnut Hill Church of Christ Real Recovery group is a Christ centered, Bible based program for people who want to turn from alcoholism, drug abuse and other addictive or dysfunctional behaviors. Healing from and growing beyond years of addiction to alcohol, drugs, gambling or pornography takes time, patience and commitment. We offer support for your journey in a relaxed and casual setting. The recovery groups are comprised of men and women at varying levels in their healing journey, who are learning, growing and healing together.
The eight principles of recovery are:
Realize I’m not God; I admit that I am powerless to control my tendency to do the wrong thing and that my life is unmanageable. (Step 1)
Earnestly believe that God exists, that I matter to Him and that He has the power to help me recover. (Step 2)
Consciously choose to commit all my life and will to Christ’s care and control. (Step 3)
Openly examine and confess my faults to myself, to God, and to someone I trust. (Steps 4 and 5)
Voluntarily submit to any and all changes God wants to make in my life and humbly ask Him to remove my character defects. (Steps 6 and 7)
Evaluate all my relationships. Offer forgiveness to those who have hurt me and make amends for harm I’ve done to others when possible, except when to do so would harm them or others. (Steps 8 and 9)
Reserve a time with God for self-examination, Bible reading, and prayer in order to know God and His will for my life and to gain the power to follow His will. (Steps 10 and 11)
Yield myself to God to be used to bring this Good News to others, both by my example and my words. (Step 12)
The twelve steps of the program are:
1. We admit we were powerless over alcohol – that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. We believe that a power greater than ourselves can restore us to sanity.
3. We make a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God.
4. We make a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. We admit to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. We are entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7. We humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
8. We make a list of all persons we have harmed, and become willing to make amends to them all.
9. We make direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. We continue to take personal inventory and when we are wrong promptly admit it.
11. We seek through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
12. We have had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to carry this message to others, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
The Real Recovery group meets weekly on Monday from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. at no cost to participants. For information contact:
Mike at (214)351-3731 or (214)533-4266 or email email@example.com.[print-me]